By: Kim Bickly, Licensed Esthetician and Certified Medical Assistant
A consistent skin care routine is key in keeping our skin healthy, nurtured, and happy. There can be multiple steps in a skin care routine, but which skin care products do you really need? The right routine will deliver soft, clear, youthful skin. I’m happy to share the knowledge I’ve gained as an experienced esthetician at beyond|AESTHETICS in Camarillo, CA to guide you through your skin care options and make sure you have the four things you really need in your skin care regimen
1. You Need A Cleanser
There are different types of cleansers such as cream cleansers, oil cleansers, gel cleansers, and foaming cleansers. But all of them have the same goal—to rid your skin of any dirt, oil, makeup, environmental pollutants, and buildup. You need a daily cleanser even if you don’t wear makeup because environmental factors can cause build-up on your skin.
2. You Need A Serum
Serums tend to have high potency and are meant to “treat” in some way. A serum is an important step in your routine because it can address any complexion concerns you have. Many people can benefit from a daily Vitamin C serum that will work to brighten skin. Serums that contain potent actives like AHA and BHA can be helpful for acne-prone skin and serums with growth factors and peptides are ideal for fighting visible signs of aging.
3. You Need a Moisturizer
Moisturizers replace and maintain the level of moisture in our skin and that is critical to keeping skin functioning properly. Skin that is not properly moisturized can be dull and dry, but it also can react by overproducing oils, which results in oily skin. Different moisturizers can range in “thickness” meaning high or lower lipid content. For example, Epionce has Renewal facial lotion, Renewal facial cream, and Renewal Facial Lite—these formulas all help reduce redness, retain moisture, and fight the signs of aging. The only difference is their lipid content, so you can choose the level that feels best for your skin.
An additional hydrator product is a bonus step for plump, soft skin. These products contain a humectant, typically hyaluronic acid. Hydrated skin feels and looks smoother and healthier all around.
4. You Need Sun Protection
Sunscreen is an absolute must in EVERY skin care routine, regardless of your age or skin color. There are two main types of sunscreen: chemical and physical. Chemical sunscreens absorb UV rays while physical sunscreens use natural ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to reflect UV rays. Whichever you choose, look for a broad spectrum formula which means it protects from both UVA and UVB rays. Some of our favorites are Epionce Daily Shield Tinted SPF 50 Sunscreen which is a physical sunscreen and Epionce Ultra Shield SPF 50 Sunscreen, which combines both physical and chemical sunscreens. Check our skincare page for a special free shipping code for b|A clients.
Expert Product Recommendations for Your Skin Type
Oily or Acne Prone Skin
- Epionce Lytic gel cleanser antimicrobial, cleanses the skin without over drying.
- IS Clinicals Active serum contains both AHA/BHA to help tone and correct the skin and prevent future breakouts
- IS Clinicals Hydra Cool contains B vitamins and Hyaluronic Acid to help soothe and hydrate the skin
- Epionce Gentle Foaming cleanser has a gentle formula that doesn’t strip the barrier of our skin and is safe to use daily.
- Skin Medica’s TNS Advanced+ serum is a growth factor and peptide driven serum that reduces and reverses the signs of aging, such as fine lines, wrinkles and visible sagging of the skin
- Epionce Intensive nourishing cream has a highly emollient formula that stimulates collagen while strengthening and repair the skin barrier
- Epionce Milky lotion cleanser is a non foaming creamy cleanser, perfect for drier skin types and safe to use daily on even the most sensitive skin.
- Skin Medicas HA5 contains 5 types of HA for instant and long lasting hydration
- Epionce Renewal facial cream is formulated to reduce the signs of fine lines and redness while improving skin clarity
Get Personalized Skin Recommendations
A consistent routine is absolutely necessary to reach your skin goals. This skincare industry is flooded with products for all skin types, and skin conditions. Finding the right skin care for you and your skin can be overwhelming but we are here to help. We only recommend clinically proven product lines with pharmaceutical grade ingredients. When you come to beyond|AESTHETICS our skincare experts can analyze your skin and discuss your complexion concerns in order to recommend specific products and treatments just for you. Shop our recommended skincare or contact us with any questions or to schedule a consultation appointment.